How to Choose a Solar InverterBy [email protected] | October 18, 2022
There’s a lot that goes into choosing the right solar inverter for your solar power system, but luckily, we can help you narrow down the field. Keep reading for tips on how to distinguish between different solar inverters so you can make the best choice when you receive a quotation from an installer!
Learn about the commonly used solar inverters. Generally speaking, there are three major types of solar inverters on the market, which are grid-tie, off-grid and hybrid inverters.
- Grid-tie inverter: It functions to convert DC to AC, with the ability to synchronize to interface with a municipal utility line like City Power that connects to the Eskom grid. This inverter is designed to transmit your unused electricity to the grid and has no battery. MTTP technology may be equipped in its input circuitry.
- Off-grid (Stand-alone) inverter: It works to convert DC to AC from a storage battery. These inverters are used to provide electricity to a number of residential and commercial projects. The lower-watt ones are mainly used to power the appliances in small households.
- Hybrid inverter: This inverter also functions to convert DC to AC and its difference is that it can be used in both a grid-tie PV system and an off-grid PV system.
Compare the efficiency of different types of solar inverters.
- Since efficiency is the soul of every solar inverter, it is necessary to stress this point when you choose your inverter. You must aim for an inverter that is known for good durability and efficiency, as well as good local post-sales support. We have seen that Sunsynk and Deye solar inverters yielded the best results in both their Hybrid Inverter delivery specs of either 5kw or 8kw and they are adequately supported by the appointed distributors in South Africa.
- However, not all high-efficiency inverters are suitable for your personal conditions, so please be careful when making your final decision and do your budget calculations to choose the best inverter possible because the higher end they are, the more of a premium you must be prepared to pay.
Take notice of the important parameter of each solar inverter.
- A solar inverter doesn’t generate electricity but it needs a certain series of parameters to make sure it works effectively. The important elements you should pay attention to are its input DC voltage, output AC voltage, frequency, and the circuitry that suits it. For example, for a typical residential solar power system, the input voltage is 12volts, 24volts or 48volts. These parameters are important when you need to pair the inverter with a battery bank for compatibility and for the particular circuitry conditions in your home.
Check whether a solar inverter has tracking devices and offers optional accessories or not.
- A solar inverter is installed in your home, but it doesn’t mean you are clear about whether it works well. Out of this concern, some inverter manufacturers have designed chips or other tiny devices that are set inside each inverter for malfunction tracking purposes. Once something troublesome happens, relevant information will be sent back to the installing company which can help deal with the problems in time.
- You should also check whether the inverter offers you optional monitoring accessories that can help you monitor your system over WiFi and remotely when you are away from your home. For example, by using a monitoring device, a home PV system user can learn how much electricity the system generates each day, month or year.
Here are a few choice inverters from our store:
Product on saleSunsynk 12Kw Hybrid Inverter – 3-PhaseR54,850.00 incl. VAT
5kW / 5Kva Mecer Inverter – 48VR15,487.00 incl. VAT
Product on saleSunsynk 8K Hybrid InverterR39,575.00 incl. VAT
New!LuxPower 5kW Offgrid InverterR12,397.00 incl. VAT
New!Deye 5kW Hybrid InverterR24,856.00 incl. VAT
New!Deye 8kW Hybrid InverterR40,131.26 incl. VAT
New!Growatt SPF 5000 ES 5kVA 5.5kW 48V Hybrid Inverter with WiFiR12,947.00 incl. VAT
Product on saleSunSynk 5kW Hybrid InverterR24,300.94 incl. VAT
3kW / 3Kva Mecer Inverter – 24VR14,487.00 incl. VAT